Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Parenting Puzzle???

We had our very first official play date...needless to say it was an adventure! Jackson found a girlfriend. Ella is a seven month old little peanut. I am kicking myself for not bring my camera the two of them were adorable. Jackson LOVED his time in the swings! I had a great time chatting with other mommies swapping stories. It is always nice to talk with someone who talks back in a language you can understand.

Along with the good times I have come along my first parenting puzzle. So, all you experienced parents and those who aren't what do you do when someone else's child is OUT OF CONTROL and the parents are doing NOTHING about it. For example, there are two children, wait make that three, who engage in a whole slew of bad behavior, hitting, BITING, and taking toys from the babies all while the parents are looking on. WHAT??? SO, seeing that the parents are not going to do anything to correct their behavior what should I do?? HELP?? Any thoughts??

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In play groups that I have done, you set the ground rule that everyone can correct (within limits) everyones child. It has worked. If a mom is smart enough or aware enough to realize that all the other mom's are correcting her children she will start on hers. The other option is that you talk one on one with this mom and tell her your thoughts. The great communicator that you are I am sure you will do it with tact but with wisdom behind it!

Mama T

Jcbaron99 said...

I would gently reprimand the child - if I was directly next to them or definitely if they did something to offend my child. Not making a big scene. But if it continued, I would confront the parent. Your good with words - so use your best judgement there. People can be very defensive about their kids even if they are totally at fault. I'm always a bit cautious about that. But if it obviously a problem and other moms are noticing then something should be done and you'd have back up!